Posted: 8 August, 2013
by Desirée Savage
Hundreds Turn Out For Boys' Funeral
Two Canadian boys killed by a python
Hundreds of locals from a small Canadian town have said goodbye to two little boys killed by an exotic python.
Four year old Noah Barthe and his six year old brother Connor were tragically killed while at a friends home for a sleepover, the post-mortem examination concluding the ‘two angels’ died of asphyxiation.
"We recognise that this has touched the hearts of people across the world and that people want to know how this could have happened," Royal Canadian Mounted Police spokesman Sgt Alain Tremblay said in a statement.
Initially it was thought the 14 ft African Rock Python had escaped its cage in a pet shop below the apartment and slipped into a ventilation duct. However it was later found the serpent was being kept in the unit where the boys were staying and broke free from its tank.
There are reports it wasn’t the first time the snake had escaped, with the owner to potentially face criminal negligence or even manslaughter charges, as it’s unclear whether he had a permit for the banned reptile.
Investigations into two young Canadian brothers thought to be strangled by a python has taken a twist, with police now treating it as a possible murder.
Connor Barthe, 7, and brother Noah, 5, were killed while they slept in an apartment above an exotic pet store, but there were no screams.
It comes after the mother of the pair posted hundreds of photos of her boys taken last year, playing in and cleaning her neighbours snake cage.
Police have stepped up their inquiries, but won’t release further details until full post mortem results are known.
Snake experts have also raised questions stating pythons seeking food always bite first.
John Marais from the African Snake Bite Institute said “if it grabs a kid, you’re going to have more than enough time to scream”.
“You can’t be asleep and be bitten by a python and strangled. That’s impossible,” Mr Marais told News Limited. “You’re going to wake up instantly.”
It’s believed the non-poisonous rock python escaped its enclosure and got into the ventilation system, before slithering into the apartment where the boys were sleeping.
The photo is of a snake bite suffered by producer Stephen Rankin on Bear Grylls' latest TV series.
This massive python opens the door without any help from anyone else.
Gruesome images of a wild python covered in ticks have appeared on internet site Reddit.